Sunday, December 20, 2009

traveling with words

I have a little notebook where I keep new words I come across, mainly Spanish words at the moment, and with the poet, there is no shortage. But lately, and due to studying for the GRE English words have crept back into my field of vision. I have just finished a very difficult chapter of my life, a relationship that is all at once the best and worst, a contradiction of emotions. We recently had a conversation about our relationship that resulted in the discussion of multiple universes. "I have started to believe and am continuing to construct my theory regarding multiple universes, perhaps infinite universes. I now believe that there are at the very least- Multiple universes, in which the decisions we make on this planet are altered and conversely construed in multiple, if not infinite ways." And in an almost perfect response a day later, I came upon the word antipodes.

antipodes: those who dwell directly opposite to each other on the globe, so that the soles of their feet are as it were planted against each other. (OED)

A parallel universe? Being a traveler, I have to believe that there are other ways to travel, you travel in books, with words and songs, you can travel back in time with a painting or a well told story. But antipodes, like dark wing duck's evil twin. Black is white and white is black. In this world, we didn't mess up this relationship, but had a prized one. While the thought, interesting, I would never trade my life for that of my "antipode." She can keep the man, and I will keep the traveling.


Listening to: Brigitte Bardot, Un Jour Comme un Autre

No comments:

Post a Comment